Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Uni-t-fence

Doug Miller wrote:
Bill wrote in :

1. With regard to the WW-II, a number of folks were complaining about
their Cherry wood getting burnt. Have you observed any special issues
with Cherry (need to cut it faster?)

That's another reason I like the Ridge Carbide blade: it *is* easy to burn cherry with a WWII,
but not quite so easy with the RC blade.
2. I assume any blade that is used to cut plywood is going to dull much
faster than one used for ordinary wood.

Faster, anyway, yes.

Does it make sense then to have
a separate blade for plywood, so you can always have a "nice, sharp" one
available for cross-cutting wood?

IMO that depends on how much plywood you cut. I haven't found it necessary.

And besides those 2, I'd expect to
use an extra-cheap blade for rough-cutting plywood.

I use a portable circular saw for rough-cutting plywood, not my table saw. Of course, that's
due partly to my shop being in my basement -- with yours being in your garage, it's
obviously much easier for you to cut plywood on your table saw than it would be for me.

Woodcraft (in Indianapolis) has 15% off everything this weekend, so that
would put their WW-II at $115. If I don't do any better at the show, I
may pick one up on the way home.

Doug, get back with me if you have any interest in attending Marc Adams'
3-hour Router Presentation on Friday. I could be talked into going.