Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr.E Mr.E is offline

Default Home Depot/Lowes appliance repair?

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 09:06:26 -0800, Lab Lover wrote:

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 10:25:03 -0500, Norminn wrote:

On 1/14/2014 10:21 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/13/2014 10:17 PM, Norminn wrote:

CBS news tonight had a spot about appliance repair a la Consumer
Reports. Advised to buy new if the repair bill would be more than half
new purchase price!! Really? F--- that! My parents bought a Philco
fridge about 1955 ... to replace our ice box ... and it was still
working in 2005. Something like 40% of refrigerators need repair
withing 4 years. Damn crooked mfgs...

Do the math. All the math. Even with a repair every four years, that
1955 refrigerator is costing you more than a new efficient model and the
occasional repair.

I got rid of an old fridge and replaced it with one 50% larger and my
electric bill dropped over $10 a month.

I'm good at math.....the point is that spending $1200 for an appliance
requiring repair or replacement in 4 years is no damn bargain.

Agreed, one must factor in the grief, aggravation and time.

+ $480 in electricity savings during the course of four years.
- $200 in spoiled food because the fridge is so large you forget what you have
in the cavity.
- $350 for the repair
- 8 hours arranging for the repair and loss of time at work because you have to
be around for the service appointment. What is your time worth?

Obviously, an appliance that works for 60 years is a far more economical
situation.

In December 2012 our GE freezer died after 44 years. Bought a new
Whirlpool from Home Depot. 6 months later the defrost timer quit.
Warranty was handled through Whirlpool and they used A&E Appliance to
replace the timer. I now have one of the $8 universal solid state
defrost timers just in case.
--
Mr.E