Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Home Depot/Lowes appliance repair?

On 1/13/2014 9:08 AM, CRNG wrote:
Anybody here have any experience getting appliance repair
(refrigerator, clothes washer/dryer, dishwasher) from either Lowe's
or Home Depot. I will be in the market for a low-end top loading
clothes washer such as this

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Maytag-Centennial-3-6-cu-ft-High-Efficiency-Top-Load-Washer-in-White-ENERGY-STAR-MVWC360AW/203667281#.UtPzDvu3MS4

in the next year, and I was wondering what happens if it ever needs
service. I've never purchased an appliance from them.

Do they offer appliance service? Is it any good?

Thanks

Purchased a range, washer and dryer from Lowes last year...so far, so
good. I think ANY appliance repair is a crap shoot nowadays. Just had
a local appliance repair person come over to work on our ice maker on 7
y/o Frigidaire. Ice maker has quit twice for long periods and then
started up again. Couple of months ago, after not making ice for
several months, it started up on it's own after power came back on after
a power outage of about 2 hours...totally wierd! The power wasn't off
long enough to resolve a freeze-up if that had been the cause. We had
tried turning it off and using hair dryer to thaw the water line
previously to no avail. The water dispenser had been pretty weak, and
the ice maker would cycle but not fill...changed the filter and horsed
around. When I finally called the repair guy, I knew the water pressure
in fridge was low, but they said that would not be the problem.
So...repair guy unhitches the water supply on back of fridge, finds no
ice blockage, rehangs the supply tubing as it was duck-taped onto the
back of the fridge, then went down to basement to check out the saddle
valve! Voila! Almost completely clogged little pin-hole; drilled
larger hole and installed a new saddle valve. Good water supply, ice
trays filling, made ice until the bin was almost full and quit again.
Called the repair guy, left message day before blizzard. Got a call
five days later, but the ice maker had resumed working and continues to
work fine. My theory is that the water tank never filled due to low
pressure so the ice maker didn't get enough pressure to fill?? Or it is
posessed )

CBS news tonight had a spot about appliance repair a la Consumer
Reports. Advised to buy new if the repair bill would be more than half
new purchase price!! Really? F--- that! My parents bought a Philco
fridge about 1955 ... to replace our ice box ... and it was still
working in 2005. Something like 40% of refrigerators need repair
withing 4 years. Damn crooked mfgs...