Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Home Depot/Lowes appliance repair?

On 1/13/2014 11:18 AM, Lab Lover wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 08:45:41 -0600, philo wrote:

Since it's a Maytag chances are it's not going to need any service. As a
matter of fact it is very rare that any new appliance will need service
for a very long time. Don't waste your money on a service contact...I am
sure they will try to sell you one.

I disagree with this advice. In the past Maytag was a fantastic company, it has
since been sold and it's products are no longer superior to any other.

Additionally, with the widespread adoption of digital controls and the
elimination of mechanical, analog controls, appliance failures are far more
common and far more expensive.

I would urge you to buy the simplest appliance you can possibly find, one with
mechanical controls if possible.

I don't know if you can get mechanical controls

I posted this a few weeks back. Normally, I'm against extended
warranties. I recently bought a Maytag high efficiency machine. It has
a glass top so you can see what is going on. It has water and
temperature sensors. It has many cycle variations, all electronically
controlled. I saw water run in five different places during the cycle.
I saw the tub spin at different speeds and even be stopped with a brake.
This is complex equipment.

It came with the option to buy an additional 5 years of coverage for
$149. I signed up and sent my money. It is $100 for someone to show up
at the door and parts start at $50 and go into the hundreds. Given the
complexity of the machine and the cost for even simple repairs, it seems
to be a good deal.