Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Ridiculous manufacturing technique

On 10/01/2014 16:19, Gareth Magennis wrote:
"N_Cook" wrote in message
On 10/01/2014 14:36, Gareth Magennis wrote:
Blimey, I have just had one of these in for repair:

http://www.native-instruments.com/en...or-kontrol-s4/

All the pots and data encoders are soldered to the PCB's as usual, and
are
then fixed by the usual hex nuts to the top of the chassis.
BUT, the various top surface metal and plastic plates with all the
legends
on are then GLUED over all these nuts.

The only way to remove the PCB's is to remove all these top plates, which
you can't do without severely damaging them as the glue bond is so
strong.

These are obviously not designed to be repaired or serviced, unless you
want
to buy a complete new set of top decal plates, which you almost certainly
can't cos these will be made in china and spares aren't available etc
etc.

And these are not cheap either.

Cuh.

does warming with hot air gun weaken the glue bond?

I was going to attempt that but I specifically needed to heat the area
around the 7 segment LED display which has a very thin transparent cover.

This unit is old now, and has had beer spilt in it, there is lots wrong with
it, I don't think I will be able to obtain spare parts for it, so I
abandoned the whole thing as uneconomic to repair.

The owner is going to attempt to send it back to the manufacturers.
Good luck there, mate.

Gareth.

for next time , just mask off the display area or even pre-chill with
freezer spray