Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Counter Sink Bit

On 1/8/14, 9:33 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/8/2014 12:17 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
Because a cheap ass screw does not know the difference between something
that is or is not a mockup. If it strips, breaks, or what ever it is
still not worth the pennies saved compared to your valuable time.

I've RE-used the same high quality square drive self-tapping screws from
McFeely's for years in dozens of mock-ups and jigs and other stuff. I
probably stripped out and broke just as many cheap-ass screww and
*drywall* before switching to high quality screws. I will never go back.

Lowes and Home both now sell SPAX® screws which are right up there or
better than McFeely's. Their moto is "Do it once. Do it right." and they
are spot on with that.

I have use Spax Lag Screws, a little pricey but they are very well made.
They actually look like you are getting what you are paying for.
Regular lag screws are a crap shoot, will the head twist off or not.

I refuse to use those horrible, cheap, galvanized lags sold in the bins,
anymore. Yes they are cheap, but as you point out, you never know when
the head will pop off. I would never instal one without some wax on the
threads. It seems like if you don't get the drilled hole just perfect,
they either snap or strip out.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)