Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Counter Sink Bit

On 1/7/14, 11:10 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/7/2014 10:02 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Markem" wrote:

I use drywall screws for drywall, but wood no I do not them use as
they rust and break.
SFWIW

Use coarse thread deck screws for temporary structures
such as mockups.

Huh? If it is just a mockup, why not use the cheapest coarse thread
screw
available? It's just going to be torn down again very quickly.

Because a cheap ass screw does not know the difference between something
that is or is not a mockup. If it strips, breaks, or what ever it is
still not worth the pennies saved compared to your valuable time.

I've RE-used the same high quality square drive self-tapping screws from
McFeely's for years in dozens of mock-ups and jigs and other stuff. I
probably stripped out and broke just as many cheap-ass screww and
*drywall* before switching to high quality screws. I will never go back.

Lowes and Home both now sell SPAX® screws which are right up there or
better than McFeely's. Their moto is "Do it once. Do it right." and they
are spot on with that.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)