Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus31914 Ignoramus31914 is offline

Default TIG with Miller Bobcar

you can buy a high frequency attachment. I sold a bunch of them in the
past. They will work.

On 2014-01-07, Jon Elson wrote:
stryped wrote:

I have wanted to experiment with Tig. I have a miller Bobcat 225+. Can I
just purchase an air cooled TIG torch and a bottle of argon and connect it
to my welding leads? I know I would not have voltage adjustment capability
and I would have to use scratch start because of no HF. I am assuming this
would work for mild steel or stainless steel.

Scratch start contaminates the electrode. But, it mostly will work,
but may require a lot of fussing to keep the electrodes clean enough to
weld. Mild steel should be no problem, it is very forgiving. Stainless
may be a lot tougher to get good welds.
Would there be a way to use this set up for aluminum?

Generally, you need some kind of AC for Aluminum. Without AC, the
surface of the aluminum gets an oxide layer. The best is square-wave
AC with continuous HF. I have heard of people welding Al with DC,
but I find it tough enough even with the best equipment (Lincoln
Square-Wave TIG 300).

Jon