Posted to rec.woodworking
j j is offline

Default Sub freezing temps and shop supplies

On 1/7/2014 10:17 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/7/2014 4:25 AM, j wrote:
On 1/6/2014 8:54 PM, Bill wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
"j" wrote:

I have a shop and a paint room that I don't usually keep under
climate control other than being attached to the house.

So, what to bring in, and what to leave out?

So far, I've brought in all the latex paints, and glues, and left
out pretty much everything else. The anticipated low looks to be
around 5F. I have the usual collection of odd products, is there
something in there that may need to be brought in?
Anything liquid except gasoline.

BTDT, don't want to see the movie again.

BTW, it's -9F in Cleveland and 79F outside my window as this is
written.

It's -9F here in Indianapolis too. -30F wind chill, but I'll be staying
put. Most schools around are closed today and tomorrow.

It's currently 9F here in Atlanta. Howling wind. Mixed closings.

A few years ago, the threat of snow closed the city 3 days in a row, no
snow ever fell.

With that said,I'm at least looking forward to a sunny day tomorrow,
something that has been in short supply.

Much construction in the old south was not built with cold weather in
mind. If you have no insulation in the walls, piling it up in the attic
won't help much.

Jeff

Stay warm people.

Lew

No insulation in the walls must be old construction.. even down south
insulation is added to keep it cool in the heat.

I think fiberglass, which was invented in '38, was the first practical
cavity insulation. Before that, usually wall insulation depended on some
fibre board and whatever R value the siding and cavity had. R3 was
lucky. At least the houses I've seen here that date from even the 60's
and 70's have nothing but sheet insulation under the siding. We are a
few decades behind the north in insulation, not so with AC.

Housing here is either mostly old poorly insulated houses (unless retro
fitted). Or late model condos and apartments, which are tight, but not
for people who do things like woodworking. Or they are McMansions (or
Mansions) which are so big and bloated as to be energy hogs.

It's taken me a while to tighten up my '29 home. Almost there...

Jeff

insulation in the attic is to keep the heat from the roof from getting
into the house. The attic cooks...