Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Counter Sink Bit

On 1/7/2014 1:51 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/7/2014 2:43 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/7/2014 11:39 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/7/2014 12:29 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
woodchucker writes:
On 1/7/2014 11:46 AM, Leon wrote:
On 1/7/2014 9:58 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/7/2014 10:51 AM, Pat Barber wrote:
On 1/6/2014 5:15 PM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

But wouldn't that require multiple plug cutters to cover the
different
diameters?

The Lee Valley counter sinks are not designed for plugs,
you would need these for plugs:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,180,42240

Often times, the hole doesn't really need a plug, just a flush fit
for the screw head.

Those are for wood screws, not drywall screws.
Most of us use dry wall screws today.

Really, do you believe that?

Yes I do. I said most. I didn't say all.
I think if you took a survey you would not find tapered wood screws in
use for 90% of the people.

I think you will find DRY WALL (LIKE) screws most of the time. While
they don't have to be drywall screws, they are straight shanked screws
that are drywall like.

There is that better? ;-0

Not really; you've expressed nothing but personal opinion. If you'd
limited your statement to "they won't work for me, because I use
drywall
screws instead of wood screws", there would be no complaints.

As I use wood screws, I (and apparently Leon), don't fall into your
assumptive "most of us" categeory.

That's correct. MOST OF US is NOT ALL OF US!!
But I'm pretty sure MOST OF US DO USE A DRY WALL TYPE OF SCREW..
STRAIGHT SHANKED OVER TAPERED.
Since you don't, you're not most of us, and I already knew that about
you.

My biggest question was with your original comment of most of us using
dry wall screws. I'm not doubting that probably most of us don't use
the tapered wood screw but until you later clarified a dry wall "type"
screw and referring to the shape of the screw, I was not so sure.

You have to realize that our straight shank screws came from drywall.
The screws for furniture were stil tapered. Way more screws are used for
drywall than furniture, so it is the technology from the drywall screw
that drove the other wood threaded types of fasteners... the threads
being much sharper , deeper, and less prone to splitting.
The old taper had the problem of splitting wood often. If you didn't
drill with a tapered bit to the correct depth you wound up with a split
from too short a pilot hole, or too loose a screw since the taper was
too wide because you drove it too deep.

I still occasionally use a tapered screw, but I prefer not to.

OK, you are missing my point. You did not originally mention screws
that resembled dry wall screws, you mentioned specifically drywall
screws. After I took exception that most of us use drywall screws you
changed your comment to dry wall "like". That i some what agree on,
although.....

Dry wall screws specifically are much too brittle and small in diameter
to be acceptable for furniture building. This is the point I was trying
to make.

I am going to assume dry wall and or the drywall screws were not around
in the 1800's.

Having said that straight shank gimlet point screws were patented as
early as 1846 by the Eagle Screw Company.

So perhaps today's straight shank screws did not come from drywall.