Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Banquer Jon Banquer is offline

Default English Wheel Reality

In article , says...

Got to thinking, I guess having multiple bearings side to side to
increase the width would not be a good idea?

Yep, bad idea. The working area of an english wheel is the point where
the tip of the rollers meet. The bottom roller is not flat, it has
various radii depending on what you are trying to do. The top roller is
usually flat as possible.

The suggestion of the bearings is to give you something to try out for
less money than buying a big wheel.

Here is a multipurpose tool that wouldn't be hard to weld up.
I would add a top and bottom brace to the wheel unless you have really
thick steel. Flex in the frame is the limiting factor with a wheel.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e6...ictures001.jpg

The planishing section can be lighter because it doesn't depend on
constant high pressure. I would make the bag table removable so you
could use different anvil dollies with it.

"Flex in the frame is the limiting factor with a wheel."

Wrong. Some flex is often helpful:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/a...p/t-51342.html

"Some flex is nice. If the frame had no flex at all, it would be trying
to make all the metal the same thickness. Metalshaping requires that
there are different thicknesses of metal to change the surface area of
the panel. You often use the english wheel to smooth the entire panel
after shaping. This helps even out all the stresses from the changes in
material thickness."

"I agree with Brad54 and what Ron Covell says. Any flex in the frame
doesn't really impede your ability to make a panel. Your level of
precision isn't in the contact patch; it's in your hands and eyes. It's
in your control over the panel, and your ability to read it to see what
it needs."