Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Banquer Jon Banquer is offline

Default English wheel, and other metalworking questions

In article ,
says...

On Friday, January 3, 2014 12:01:35 PM UTC-5, Clare wrote:

To build a T-Bucket out of steel I would want a slip-roll former, a

planishing hammer, an english wheel, and a bead roller - as well as a

good tig welder. A rosebud torch for annealing the steel would also be

a requirement - to get rid of the work hardening. A plasma cutter

would make the job a bit easier as well. Make a wooden buck frame and

build the sheet metal around it - kinda like an old Fisher body

Could you elaborate on when one would want to use an English Wheel and when you would use a planishing hammer. I have not used either, but to me it looks like a planishing hammer is kind of like a powered English Wheel. There is another sheetmetal tool that is kind of a mechanical planishing hammer. I can not think of the name right now. It uses a lever action to move the anvil. And will put a lot more force on the metal being worked. I have been

trying to think of the name so I could look at plans on the internet.

It seems to me one could make an English Wheel and have a conversion kludge to use the same frame for a planishing hammer.

Dan

The reason you're confused is you have no grasp of the basics of using
hand tools to form sheet metal. I suggest you buy this DVD and get a
clue. This advice also applies to others in this thread who have no
clues (along with some who pretend to), not just you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGElSHzm0q8

I own it. It's easily the best DVD on sheet metal forming I own and I
probably have 20 of them that I've purchased over many years. Covell,
Fournier, White, etc. I've also taken hands on classes with Fay Butler
on using a Power hammer:

http://www.faybutler.com/

If you understood how to use hand tools to form sheet metal you would
understand that a planishing hammer is basically the equivalent of a
slapper (often made from a file that's heated and bent) and a dolly. You
frequently use both to raise low spots.

This group isn't the place to get expert sheet metal forming advise.
Much of what I've seen posted so far is bad information and doesn't give
someone the fundamental understanding they need to be successful. The
answer isn't tools. The answer is dedication to building skills from
lots and lots of practice. The above link to David Gardner's DVD and
some hand tools is all someone needs to see if sheet metal forming is
for them. If you don't understand how to work sheet metal with hand
tools then all power tools will do is get you in trouble faster and
further mask your real problems.

How soon before you **** yourself again and go back to asking for
pictures of my home machine shop instead of focusing on building the
skills you are lacking? All that electrical knowledge you have doesn't
do you jack **** in this case. Time to get some clues.