Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default English wheel, and other metalworking questions

On 2014-01-03, stryped wrote:
On Friday, January 3, 2014 8:20:21 AM UTC-6, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
stryped fired this volley in

:

An English Wheel wouldn't be the first choice (or perhaps even the last

one) to form a seamless bucket; they're usually spun.

I had to look up what a T-Bucket was on the web. It is not a
container for liquids. :-)

[ ... ]

I take it you haven't even looked at a video of an English Wheel in use.

Lloyd

Yes, I have looked at videos. However, as you know looking and doing
are two different things. The guys on video make it look easy but not
sure if I would have the same experience.

And videos can be edited to make things take a lot less time
than they do in real life.

There are not a lot of compound curves on a T bucket, but there are
some designs on different model years that utilize a turtle deck that
have some.

If you should not use heat on sheet metal, how do you bend the sheet
metal to the proper shape withan an English wheel?

Well ... heat *is* used (with quenching) on sheet metal, to
shrink areas to remove dents. Sort of the opposite of what an English
Wheel does.

The English Wheel (based on seeing one used by a novice, but no
hands-on experience) forms the curves by reducing the thickness of the
metal in the middle of a curve, thus making it have more area, and thus
forcing it into a curve instead of a plane. (The skill from experience,
of course, would be what allowed you to make the curve you *want*
instead of some other curve.

As for what was done before they started coming into the US, in
large-scale production, it was done with dies and presses. For one-offs
and really small production, probably a planishing (sp?) hammer and an
appropriate anvil could accomplish the same thing as the English wheel
-- perhaps with a greater need for learned skill.

O.K. This site (and its earlier parts) may give a clue how that
is done. It is an armour making site, and this is part 5, so you may
want to step back and read them all.

http://www.ageofarmour.com/education/planishing.html

But all this is speculation, as I don't (yet) do such work.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail