Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default English wheel, and other metalworking questions

On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 17:10:03 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

stryped wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/ljh4ot2

I agree. Its just hard to justify buying an English wheel,
plannishing hammer, etc to "try it out"/

So, you don't think someone could use a hammer form to form the body
in sections, then weld together?

I know this is a really dumb question, but I watached a partial video
on you tube of a guy using a wood buck to make the turtle deck part
of the car. I assume the buck is removed before the part is
installed? What guage metal do they typically use for these projects?

Thanks!

Yes, the buck is removed, Usually you form the parts, add braces,
reinforcement points and such, then weld it up. Removing the buck is
easy if you build it as a knockdown.

The problem with using a hammer is that you will have a billion dings to
smooth out. That it what the wheel and planishing hammers are for, you
smooth out the panels.
Normally you use 18 gauge for the thicker spots and bracing, 20 for the
panels. 22 if you want a lightweight, but it dings EASY!

Building the body from scratch is going to mean learning a lot of new
skills, and buying tools you don't have. Body files, slappers, shot
bars, dollies and body hammers. When you are done buying tools you will
basically have a complete body fab shop. You could look around and see
if you can find a shop with the tools, then see if they will teach you
the basics or at least let you watch them. You don't have to buy some of
the stuff, if you have a welder and steel you can make some of them.

Including the english wheel and the planishing hammer.