Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default English wheel, and other metalworking questions

On Fri, 3 Jan 2014 08:30:49 -0800 (PST), stryped
wrote:

On Friday, January 3, 2014 8:20:21 AM UTC-6, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
stryped fired this volley in

:

An English Wheel wouldn't be the first choice (or perhaps even the last

one) to form a seamless bucket; they're usually spun.

If you're going to weld the pieces together, why would you need to

hammer-form it at all? Just do the geometry to make a truncated cone and

a bottom, and weld (or solder) away. Two seams: one up the side, and one

around the bottom. The only 'forming' necessary would be to bend a lip

on the bottom piece, and do a roll bead on the top of the open end.

I take it you haven't even looked at a video of an English Wheel in use.

Lloyd

Yes, I have looked at videos. However, as you know looking and doing are two different things. The guys on video make it look easy but not sure if I would have the same experience.

There are not a lot of compound curves on a T bucket, but there are some designs on different model years that utilize a turtle deck that have some.

If you should not use heat on sheet metal, how do you bend the sheet metal to the proper shape withan an English wheel?

You bend it cold. The wheel causes the metal to "cold flow" -
thinning it and stretching it, causing the metal to bend.