Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped[_3_] stryped[_3_] is offline

Default English wheel, and other metalworking questions

On Friday, January 3, 2014 8:20:21 AM UTC-6, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
stryped fired this volley in

:

An English Wheel wouldn't be the first choice (or perhaps even the last

one) to form a seamless bucket; they're usually spun.

If you're going to weld the pieces together, why would you need to

hammer-form it at all? Just do the geometry to make a truncated cone and

a bottom, and weld (or solder) away. Two seams: one up the side, and one

around the bottom. The only 'forming' necessary would be to bend a lip

on the bottom piece, and do a roll bead on the top of the open end.

I take it you haven't even looked at a video of an English Wheel in use.

Lloyd

Yes, I have looked at videos. However, as you know looking and doing are two different things. The guys on video make it look easy but not sure if I would have the same experience.

There are not a lot of compound curves on a T bucket, but there are some designs on different model years that utilize a turtle deck that have some.

If you should not use heat on sheet metal, how do you bend the sheet metal to the proper shape withan an English wheel?