Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Nicopress (or equivalent)????

On 1/2/2014 10:58 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

But -- these are not for buryable splices -- rather for
ring terminals which go onto studs or under (large) screws.

I've seen Burndy crimpers on eBay which are pure mechanical
leverage, with rotating dies, and which are for uninsulated terminals.
(My tooling is for pre-insulated terminals).

And your case is not only pre-insulated, but buryable.

I have several of the Nicopress crimpers; unfortunately, not the larger
one already here. I don't know who did the crimps for or who Dad
borrowed tooling from when we put the feedlots in; I was in school at
the time and remember a fair amount of the construction but not that
particular detail. I'm guessing the fellow he used is one who is now
long gone; he did most of the work that didn't do ourselves on the
place. I'd guess "'ol Shuff" probably just loaned the tool; the
installation bears too many of the characteristics of Dad's penchant for
detail for somebody else to have done the work.

I've a bid in on one at the moment; if it doesn't come to pass I believe
I've tracked down one in town I can borrow. As near as I can tell from
spec sheets, the dimensions on the splices from various sources are such
as that they're interchangeable for crimper-maker (presuming correct die
choice, of course).

And, I did find a batch of splices at less than half retail so bought a
couple-dozen to have some on hand for later...

The splices themselves are uninsulated but filled with anti-oxidant.
I've on hand already the preshrink with the internal mastic for the
water-proofing...plus will then wrap extensively before they go back in
the ground, hopefully for a long time again.

Weather not going to cooperate for a while, however...