Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solder or crimp ??

On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 06:48:12 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 20:49:56 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 13:27:48 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 11:08:04 -0500,
wrote:

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 18:27:56 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 19:08:06 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

This article says soldering is less desirable
than crimps for Anderson Power Pole terminals.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/12/...ectronics.html

I was taught that soldering is far better than crimp.
What's your thoughts?

The way I read the article he's talking about ONLY crimp versus ONLY
solder. Not crimp first then solder, which is what I do if I'm
looking for a belt and suspenders solution.

Solder will actually cause more problems than it solves (for properly
crimped connectors). Solder will wick up into multi-strand wire and
cause the wire to break at that point, under flex (work hardening).

That said, I've read in
the past that a PROPERLY crimped connection does not need to be
soldered, the kind of crimp powerful crimping machines can make in a
manufacturing facility.

They don't need to be machines. Hand crimpers work fine for smaller
connectors. The ratcheting type are best.

The crimps I do at home, even with a decent
hand crimper tool, I don't consider the same quality as a factory
crimp. But many of those home crimps have lasted years and years with
no trouble...

Sure but adding solder doesn't solve anything if the crimp is good.

Putting aside vibration issues, I've always viewed the solder as
insurance against corrosion.

It won't help if the crimp was right to begin with.

No matter how perfect the crimp is it won't keep moisture out of the
joint area. The edges of the metals are exposed, the corrosion starts
there and works it's way back eating away at the metals. Just look at
all the corroded battery cables that are crimped into the battery
clamps, eventually the stuff corrodes away.

have found crimps that were bad due to
corrosion when used in exposed to weather areas. Never found a
problem when they were soldered in such use.

The wire breaks, instead.

I've had far far more failed crimps from corrosion in exposed to
weather areas then wires breaks from any cause. In fact, the only
wire breaks I've had were on crimped and NOT soldered connections.
I've never had a crimped AND soldered connection fail. YMMV.

My guess, a crimp would work best on a single wire. Little strands do not
get pinched together enough inside the bundle, and corrosion keeps wicking
through.
I never saw a wire wrap fail, but I never saw them used in poor
environment.
I've crimped really small contacts where soldering would take too long, and
be impossible to prevent wicking. The crimpers also sometimes cost several
hundred dollars. I'll admit, sometimes crimps are better. There is the
other case, often on home appliances. The wires and crimps, and slide on
connectors, get warm, then hotter, then literally burn off. The crimp will
fail as well as turning the slide on contacts, brittle falling apart.

Greg

Caused by the slide on connector heating, not the crimp.