Posted to alt.home.repair
Irreverent Maximus Irreverent Maximus is offline

Default Solder or crimp ??

On 12/31/2013 12:19 AM, gregz wrote:
RobertMacy wrote:

In the mean time, I'll fix bad crimps by soldering.

Greg

Why not good crimps? :-)

As an aside. Some terminals will have their listing voided
if soldered. The air flow in the terminal is part of the
cooling allowing for the rated ampacity. These terminals
are usually aluminum or a crappy alloy. If possible, always
get terminals rated for 90 degree C.

People who find faulty crimps usually found someone who used
the wrong tool for the job. Those crappy wire stripper/crimper
all in one tools with the crimp section toward the handle are
pure junk. I prefer, as an all in one, a dedicated multi
crimper from Klein. Long handles and you can really bear down
on the terminal. Forward section is multi-gauge for insulated,
and the rear section is for multi-gauge non-insulated.