Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertMacy RobertMacy is offline

Default Solder or crimp ??

On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 07:42:45 -0700, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

...snip....

On my winter bike - equipped with an electric motor - I've got 4 crimped
Anderson connectors and four solder joints.

Over five years, the solder joints have failed twice but the crimped
connectors have given no problems.

OTOH, that's just failure. The efficiency of transmission has got to
be a whole other issue - which I have no clue about.

If you looked at crimp vs solder over the whole spectrum, you'd find the
soldered connection to become 'noisy' with time. ...having variable
resistance. Not too noticeable if you're powering a motor, because who
cares if the connection comes and goes once in a while?