Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertMacy RobertMacy is offline

Default Solder or crimp ??

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 18:27:56 -0700, Ashton Crusher wrote:

...snip...

The way I read the article he's talking about ONLY crimp versus ONLY
solder. Not crimp first then solder, which is what I do if I'm
looking for a belt and suspenders solution. That said, I've read in
the past that a PROPERLY crimped connection does not need to be
soldered, the kind of crimp powerful crimping machines can make in a
manufacturing facility. The crimps I do at home, even with a decent
hand crimper tool, I don't consider the same quality as a factory
crimp. But many of those home crimps have lasted years and years with
no trouble...

Not good idea to solder a crimped connector. The heat usually relaxes the
pressure of the crimp nnd the advantage of the crimp is lost.