Posted to rec.woodworking
DanG[_2_] DanG[_2_] is offline

Default Dressing up curved plywood edges

On 12/30/2013 9:43 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
My CD Shelf project is drawing to a close. All that's left is a couple
more bouts of finishing, and only on the face frame and the outside
faces of the sides. It should be ready for use next weekend. Here it is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57637538534446

I've begun to think about what I might do next. The bookcases I built
two projects ago now hold virtually all of the books in the house,
excepting the cookbooks, which we'd like to keep in the kitchen. Here's
my completely half-assed idea:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/11647719115/

Pretend I've drawn it with dadoes and rabbets, and pretend that the
"mezzanine" shelves follow the curve of the top and bottom. Further
pretend that this design bears any resemblance to what I'll really build.

What I'm curious about is how to deal with the plywood edges if I decide
to build a curved unit. We have a lot of cookbooks, some small and
utilitarian, others large and full of pictures. I figure the curve will
help accommodate both deep and shallow books, and hopefully look nice in
the process.

I used iron-on edge banding for the CD shelves, which worked out pretty
well. But if I wonder if there's some solid wood alternative. Keep in
mind that milling my own strips is not a possibility. I think I've seen
rectangular profile molding and I'm sure I could just look up what's
available But I have gotten some ideas from this group in the past;
ideas I never would have thought of. So have at it. Things simple enough
to match my modest skills preferred.

---
protection is active.

If someone else has said this, I apologize. You can use MDO - medium
densidty overlay - same thing as MDF with various hardwood exterior
veneer finishes. This would allow you cut, rout, and finish. This
assumes you are bent on a wood finish. Straight MDF for a stellar paint
finish.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G