Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Dressing up curved plywood edges

On 12/30/13, 1:33 PM, Digger wrote:
There are special edging bits for routers that can be used to enhance
glue-up of stock trim ...i.e...

https://www.routerbits.com/plywood-edge-banding/whiteside-edge-banding-router-bit-set/

The cutters ensure sufficient gluing surface for a very strong bond
between case and edging.

The inherent flaw in those bits is that it is way too easy for the
pointed edge of the hardwood to split open the plywood when clamping.

If one chooses to use an edge banding router bit, it's much better to
use a bit that has a flat section, so it can't wedge open the plywood.

After trying router bits for banding, I came to the conclusion that
their best purpose is to provide income to the people who manufacture
and sell them. :-)

A simple rabbeted banding that is thicker than the plywood is as strong
or stronger than these special profiles and much easier to do. Plus it
give the added advantage of making the front profile thicker, which
looks better in most applications.
http://mikedrums.com/shelf_edge_top.jpg
http://mikedrums.com/shelf_edge_bot.jpg

--