Posted to rec.woodworking
Digger[_4_] Digger[_4_] is offline

Default Dressing up curved plywood edges

On 12/30/2013 12:11 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 12/30/2013 11:38 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/30/2013 10:43 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

I used iron-on edge banding for the CD shelves, which worked out pretty
well. But if I wonder if there's some solid wood alternative. Keep in
mind that milling my own strips is not a possibility. I think I've seen
rectangular profile molding and I'm sure I could just look up what's
available But I have gotten some ideas from this group in the past;
ideas I never would have thought of. So have at it. Things simple enough
to match my modest skills preferred.

You say milling is not a possibility. What tools do you have available?
Router? Router table?

In pine, there is some molding available at the big box stores, but not
so easy to find other woods.

Router? Check. Router table? Ditto. But no table saw.

There are special edging bits for routers that can be used to enhance
glue-up of stock trim ...i.e...

https://www.routerbits.com/plywood-edge-banding/whiteside-edge-banding-router-bit-set/

The cutters ensure sufficient gluing surface for a very strong bond
between case and edging.

After edging is glued on, then molding or profile bits may be utilized
with the same router to clean up any proud surfaces and apply final
desired shape ...roundover, roman ogee etc.

Not easy to work with thin sticks of 3/4" stock without using some sort
of backing board (i.e. 3/4" x 1"x4" scrap stock) or support to provide
added stiffness and bulk while routing the glue edge. I have used
double-sided carpet tape to temporarily hold things together while
cutting, and it is entirely possible to also tape the edge stock either
edge-to-edge or on top of backing board. However, I also prefer routing
from thicker stock and subsequently cut strips to final dimension with a
table saw.

Once the stock edging is mounted to the case, it is usually very easy to
profile the exposed edge surface with a molding bit of choice.

Hope my explanation makes some sense, I'm at an age now where most of
the time I'm the only one that understands what I write...

good luck,

--

Digger
Bob O'Dell