Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Dressing up curved plywood edges

"Greg Guarino" wrote in message

My CD Shelf project is drawing to a close. All that's
left is a couple more bouts of finishing, and only on the face frame and
the outside faces of the sides. It should be ready for use next
weekend. Here it is:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57637538534446

I've begun to think about what I might do next. The
bookcases I built two projects ago now hold virtually all of the books in
the house, excepting the cookbooks, which we'd like to keep in the
kitchen. Here's my completely half-assed idea:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/11647719115/

Pretend I've drawn it with dadoes and rabbets, and
pretend that the "mezzanine" shelves follow the curve of
the top and bottom. Further pretend that this design bears any resemblance
to what
I'll really build.
What I'm curious about is how to deal with the plywood
edges if I decide to build a curved unit. We have a lot of cookbooks, some
small and utilitarian, others large and full of pictures. I figure
the curve will help accommodate both deep and shallow books, and
hopefully look nice in the process.

I used iron-on edge banding for the CD shelves, which
worked out pretty well. But if I wonder if there's some solid wood
alternative. Keep in mind that milling my own strips is not a possibility.
think I've seen rectangular profile molding and I'm sure I could just
look up what's available But I have gotten some ideas from this group in
the past; ideas I never would have thought of. So have at it.
Things simple enough to match my modest skills preferred.

You said you have a router & router table but no table saw. How do you cut
the ply pieces? How did you cut the stuff for the other book case?

Regardless of how you did it (cut) do it the same way for this project. You
could...

1. Cut thin pieces and glue/iron on

2. Cut thicker pieces and bend them on, no need to cut a curve as long as
they are 3/4" thick or so. To attach them, you could...
(a) use biscuits & glue
(b) put solid wood vertical at the front of each side and screw/glue
to that, glue to the ply too.

Naturally, you could run a profile on one or both edges.

3. Now, if you want something wide you would either have to...
(a) cut a curve to match the ply
- OR -
(b) make the ply uncurved and curve the outside edge of the solid
wood.

It's not all that hard to cut a curve with a router, just need to make a
template. If you want the innner and outer curves to match so the trim is
the same width over the entire length, pay attention to Swingman.

--

dadiOH