Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Dressing up curved plywood edges

On 12/30/2013 12:33 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 12/30/2013 11:11 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Router? Check. Router table? Ditto. But no table saw.

A few years ago I built a jig, based on an old magazine article, for a
router/router table to do this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...t=d irectlink

The perfect match of the mating parts (table top and trim) comes from
using the jig to cut the curve in both parts.

If you're interested I can try to find my plans/send you the directions
necessary to do the same via email, or a photo of the jig, which I may
still have (if I can find it).

I don't know if I would actually take that route - cutting the curved
pieces from 1x4 stock - but I'm intrigued. I've been puzzling it out in
my head and I haven't yet come up with the geometry necessary to make
convex and concave cuts from the same template. Obviously it's not as
simple as a pattern bit; the non-zero diameter of the bit would make the
mating curves of slightly different radii.

So don't dig too hard on my account, but I am interested to see how it
was done.

---