Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug[_18_] Doug[_18_] is offline

Default Removing accumulated wax / polish

Robert,

Checking the local paint retailers, Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore, and Pratt&Lambert,
Sherwin Williams is the only one that carries naphtha - currently offering two types -
VM&P and hi-flash (100 flash, Solvesso 100).

Per the SW literature, the hi-flash is slow evaporating - 40 minutes to evaporate 90% vs 4
minutes for the VM&P, with a solvent strength of 5 out of 10 vs. 2 for the VM&P.

Appears the hi-flash is the much hotter / stronger of the two solvents. Not sure if it
would be hot enough to lift the finish - which would be a disaster for my application.

The SW product summary sheet for the VM&P product also states it is a weak, fast
evaporating, and very good for solvent cleaning when using alkyd topcoats.

Which of the two would you suggest for removing furniture wax / polish?

Apparently Energine has been discontinued and there is no similar replacement product.

Thanks again!

Doug

" wrote:

Doug - a one in a million chance I am here! I don't get to this group much so good for both of us.

The naptha you have found is Varnish Maker's and Painter's Naptha. It is not known for its purity, but rather for the fact that it will thin varnish and paint successfully. It allows a very wide spectrum of ingredients and mixtures of the same to hit the lowest common denominator of simply being able to thin an oil based product.

Naptha has the "not to be used as a cleaner" warning posted in it as there were several different solutions of naptha used for decades as dry cleaning fluids. So when you took your dress suit to the cleaners, they used naptha or a solution with naptha in it to clean it, along with other non washable clothes. Find that out, it was a short cut for many to clean their non washables themselves with a small can of naptha (my Dad kept "Energine" around when I was a kid) to hit spots and possible stains. Naptha was widely used as a utility cleaner in the manufacturing and industrial community as well. There are too many other cleaners that do the job better and safer these days for those applications.

But naptha still has its place. Go to a real paint store (not Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.) like Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore and get some real, first brew naptha. Most naptha is recycled cleaning agents from heavy industry and is a mix of all kinds of stuff (as most thinners are). This isn't illegal as "naptha" is simply a trade name, not an exact product. However, the stuff you get at the paint store will be minimally blended, so there will be much less chance of that product reacting with anything that might be left behind on your furniture.