Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default Solder or crimp ??

On 12/29/2013 11:29 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/29/2013 7:03 PM, philo wrote:
The problem with lead/tin solder is that it is not a great conductor.
A good crimp puts the wire in direct contact with the silver plating of
the contact.

Silver solder might be a lot better, but for the 350amp contacts we
used, the cost would be prohibitive. (Even lead/tin solder in the
quantities we would have needed would have been expensive.)

What job or project was that? How many quantities?

Since I was in the industrial battery business I'd replace or install
close to 1000 connectors a year. Since Enersys itself is a world wide
company they used hundreds of thousands of connectors a year...more than
likely , over a million.