Posted to alt.home.repair
Erik[_5_] Erik[_5_] is offline

Default Solder or crimp ??

On 12/29/13, 2:28 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 13:41:18 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per
:
What's your issue? What he said is perfectly correct. Crimping is
better but only if it's done *right*. We often do both (crimp, then
solder) because we don't have the proper tools for all of the
connectors we use.

The comment Clare@Snyder.... made about solder wicking back up the
wire and stiffening it rings true to me - because that's where the two
failures I've experienced happened: about a quarter inch up the wire
from the actual joint.

It's all part of AC43.13-1b

Haven't scrutinized this whole thread... but do know in aerospace
crimping is preferred in most cases, but solder is both needed and used
in some situations.

As a side note...

The above poster mentions AC43.13-1b... this is a publication put out by
the FAA. The 'AC' stands for 'Advisory Circular'(even though in this
case the printed version is a book). PDF copies are freely available for
download from the FAA website, along with hundreds if not thousands of
other advisory circulars & handbooks. Even though their main focus is
aircraft, they contains loads excellent BS/advertizing free information.

For more wiring/soldering/crimping info, also go to NASA's site and find
a PDF of:

NASA-STD-8739.4

It's also free. (If you have trouble finding it there, just Google it...
it's all over the web) Like the FAA, NASA also has a ton of technical
PDF's up... look through them while your there.

Erik