Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default Solder or crimp ??

On 12/29/2013 05:38 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:

This article says soldering is less desirable
than crimps for Anderson Power Pole terminals.

I can't add much to what others have said comparing general crimp to
solder. But lets get back to the question about Anderson Power Pole
terminals. I use them extensively with my Ham equipment, operating from
13.8 volt DC power supplies and auto electrical systems.

I've found that Anderson Power Pole connections get hot from contact
resistance when they carry high current, say 20 Amps or so continuous.
If they are soldered, I do not believe the temperature would be so high
that the solder could melt. However the higher temperature might tend
to cause oxidation of the solder.

Fred

The problem with lead/tin solder is that it is not a great conductor.
A good crimp puts the wire in direct contact with the silver plating of
the contact.

Silver solder might be a lot better, but for the 350amp contacts we
used, the cost would be prohibitive. (Even lead/tin solder in the
quantities we would have needed would have been expensive.)