Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Solder or crimp ??

On 12/29/2013 10:09 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 21:06:35 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/28/2013 6:08 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
This article says soldering is less desirable than crimps for
Anderson Power Pole terminals.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/12/...ectronics.html

I was taught that soldering is far better than crimp. What's your
thoughts?

I have a ratcheting type crimp tool and have used low temperature
silver on crimped connectors if I'm worried about moisture wicking
into the stranded wire plus heat shrink that has the hot melt
sticky stuff on the inside. Regular heat shrink tubing makes a good
strain relief on the wire crimped into a connector because it
prevents a sharp 90° bend in the wire crimped into the connector
when it's put under stress. The most important thing, don't nick
the wire when you strip the insulation off of it. ^_^

The crimp forms an air (moisture) tight seal. Solder doesn't add
anything and will cause wires to break.

I always solder them if expect them to be around moisture and always use
heat-shrink tubing for a strain relief then I use dielectric silicone
grease in the connector to prevent corrosion. I've never had a problem
with wires breaking in those circumstances. I have had soldered wires
break off circuit boards when they're bent at a sharp angle a few times.
^_^

TDD