Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bod[_3_] Bod[_3_] is offline

Default Storm power outages

That is the problem, the planks haven't put any thought at all in how
to cope with a simple power cut. So they just panic and blame
everyone else for *their* failure to prepare.

Have you noticed how few people even have a few candles stashed away.

I find that rechargeable torches are a hell of a lot more useful.

I've got a generator too for the more important stuff than
light and that works fine if the power failure lasts longer
than the 8 hours the rechargeable lights will last for.

When I was a kid we had a boxfull and that was before the 3 day week.

And then the world moved on just a tad and those
of use who aren't actually desperate povs can afford
a cheap generator and get to do a lot better than
with a box of candles.

I've got one of those power packs that start the car instead of a jump start(you never know).

My point being, that it has a built in 230v mains inverter and a variety
of sockets (USB etc). I keep it fully charged up(obviously) and in the
event of a power cut it would give us some light(built into the unit)
and run a few low powered mains devices for a few hours.
Very handy. Only cost £70, good value.
Oh! and it has a built in compressor to blow up tyres etc.