Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kristian Ukkonen Kristian Ukkonen is offline

Default Anyone using HurcoSave orginally sold by CMC?

On 12/28/2013 16:19, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Kristian Ukkonen" wrote in message
On 12/27/2013 5:18, oldjag wrote:
CMC went under in 2009 and I'm trying to migrate the Hurcosave app
a Windows 7 PC from a XP. The app seems to run OK under Windows 7
but won't accept the original password/code and says it will expire
in 30 days...Ideas?

Copy the old harddisc to new PC (partition magic or such to make
exact copy). Let new PC boot and windows will update the motherboard
devices.
If it can't do that, "repair" install with XP disc. After it boots
XP, upgrade to windows 7 from XP (put W7 install disc to CD while XP
runs).

This way all the registry entries and files stay the same.

Has worked fine on W2000-XP. I haven't yet had any reason for W7.

Kristitan Ukkonen.

If the new computer uses an Advanced Format hard drive the cloning
program has to be aware of it.:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx
"While not stressed in the preceding table, Windows XP, Windows Server
2003, and Windows Server 2003 R2 do not support 512e or 4Kn media.
While the system may boot up and be able to operate minimally, there
may be unknown scenarios of functionality issues, data loss, or
sub-optimal performance."

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rive,2759.html

I would say that there is no problem.

The harddisk will work in "512-Byte Sector Emulation" with XP
using alignment 1. It should be first emptied of all partitions, and
then old partition copied there. Then after migrating to W7, it will
also work with the 512 byte sectors, but that is not a problem.

http://www.seagate.com/tech-insights...ves-master-ti/

It would be challenging to really perceive the effect of this
emulation on the harddisk transfer speed, especially using the
PC for some old CNC software.

Windows has a mechanism to detect an installation being moved to
different hardware, to deter theft, and if it even runs it will likely
have crippled functionality and give timeout warnings. The mechanism
records and checks parameters on the motherboard, such as the network
MAC address, but AFAIK not the hard drive. It does allow occasional
small changes.

It has worked wonderfully for me. Also with XP sp3. I have done it
multiple times with failed harddisks and motherboards, using a backup
copy of harddisk on new hardware. These computers are working and have
worked for years. May need reactivation, but that is not a problem with
genuine software with XP license string.

IMHO worth a try in the case above. Should work fine and no risk, as
it is done to a copy of the original harddisk.

Another way is to look for hidden files and/or empty directories at
the directories of the software. They are not copied normally with
windows copy. Empty hidden directory is used as license "file" in
one software.. One trick is to use "attrib" command instead of "dir"
in dos prompt. It will show all files, regardless if they are hidden
dor system files. For hidden directies "dir /A:HD". You get the idea.