Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kristian Ukkonen Kristian Ukkonen is offline

Default Removing Freely Rotating Swaged Steel Pin

On 12/27/2013 2:32, Doug White wrote:
Before I drag out the Dremel, does anyone have any better sugestions?

Weaken one end of pin with dremel by hand using either rod-shaped
grinding wheel (slow) or an engraving "end mill" cutter at dremel.
Just remove as much material at center of pin as possible. It will work
ok even though the pin rotates a little. After that, firm impact with a
hammer and small punch to center to remove the pin - it
will break the pin at the weakened end at interface between the
pin round body and bigger diameter end, leaving the pin and a ring.
Preferable dremel a hole that is bigger than punch diameter.

That's how I would try it. It has worked on similar cases as the pins
are usually quite hard and break (fracture) easily with such impact..

Kristian Ukkonen.