Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Storm power outages

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 18:21:53 +0000, robert
wrote:

On 27/12/2013 17:54, wrote:
In listening to the reports of people without power for the last
couple of days

I agree that some people expectations are too high when there is such
widespread disruption.

The more we rely on technology and get used to resilient services the
more we are unprepared and suffer when they do occasionally fail.
I see a market for "urban survival courses " !

We could start a list of what simple things could be taught or even
put in a government booklet along the "Protect and Survive model"
though hopefully it should be advice that works.

I'll kick off,
1. keep a conventional wired phone available that plugs into the BT
socket.
You won't then need to call a radio phone in when your power is
restored and moan you couldn't contact anyone for 3 days because
your walk round the house ones become useless
2. A lot of people have a power source parked on their drive,
learn how to tap it to run the telly,radio laptop etc.
Sine wave inverters aren't that costly and while continuous use
might not be recommended an hour or so to check on things should
be possible. You might even run an oil or gas fired boiler if you
can power the electric controls at intervals and keep warm.

G.Harman