Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Storm power outages

I'd imagine the point is when its happened.
In them old days you would see bods going along all power line routes
checking trees and cutting them where there was a danger of them hitting the
lines. I don't think this is done or at least not done so often as it used
to be. t This is the main issue here. Obviously, the other issue is putting
sub stations etc, on areas formerly as flood plains.
The water damage aspect could be mitigated by better builds of course.
In the end its all trade offs against cost and profit and reliability in
extreme weather.
We are apparently notorious for being unprepared for anything, which is odd
considering we can have all four seasons in a day here.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
wrote in message
In listening to the reports of people without power for the last
couple of days am I alone in thinking that complaining about a
service with a 99.98% up-time reliability is a bit of a moan.

(Guessing that she's in her 50s, so she's had 5 days downtime in
20,000+ days.)

jgh