Posted to uk.d-i-y
robert robert is offline

Default Storm power outages

On 27/12/2013 17:54, wrote:
In listening to the reports of people without power for the last
couple of days am I alone in thinking that complaining about a
service with a 99.98% up-time reliability is a bit of a moan.

(Guessing that she's in her 50s, so she's had 5 days downtime in
20,000+ days.)

jgh

I agree that some people expectations are too high when there is such
widespread disruption.
Communications can always be improved , if you are prepared to pay, but
I suspect that a personal detailed phone/text service is only feasible
for small scale problems, anything larger has to be web based . With
smart phones accessing such information has become feasible as long as
the local Mobile network is not down.
Expecting accurate forecasting of time to fix is unrealistic , all that
can be provided with any accuracy is a "it wont be fixed before" time.

The more we rely on technology and get used to resilient services the
more we are unprepared and suffer when they do occasionally fail.
I see a market for "urban survival courses " !