Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default furnace BTU

On 12/27/2013 8:15 AM, wrote:

My 34 year old oil furnace does have a few electronic parts, that is,

Makes no sense. I replaced a 33 year old oil burner and save about $900

a year in oil costs. I've done that for the past three years now. So,

for fear of losing a $500 board you think I should spend an extra $900 a

year? The boys at Mobile/Exxon thank you for the business.

Whether it makes sense depends on the yearly operating cost difference
and the payback time period. You have oil, which is a lot more expensive
than natural gas. He may also be located in GA or similar, where
the fuel usage isn't that great. Instead of saving $900 a year, he
might only save $250, which makes a big difference.

What does the price of natural gas have to do with this? He said he has
an oil fired furnace. He also said he is afraid to change because he
could blow out a $500+ circuit board. That is a rather poor excuse.
Sure, you have to run the numbers, but to say you are afraid of an
expensive repair makes no sense at all to keep spending it on oil. Run
the numbers, then lets talk.