Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Removing Freely Rotating Swaged Steel Pin

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 13:33:48 GMT, Doug White
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

On 27 Dec 2013 04:51:11 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

Before I drag out the Dremel, does anyone have any better sugestions?

You have what I would try, at least.

It looks like you can remove that linkage assembly from the
action by removing C-clips, so you won't be juggling as heavy a bunch
of metal, and controlling it will be easier.

Good Luck,
DoN.

And putting it back together..consider an allen lock screw inside of a
slotted pin and have it expand when you screw in the lock screw..and
can be removed the next time easily.

In theory, this is a one time deal. Some bright students decided that
closing the action by pushing the cocking lever against the bench was
easier than doing it by hand. Before we could stop this practice,
they'd put their weight behind the process & broken two of the linkages.
These two got busted a couple years ago, and we haven't had a repeat
performance since.

I hope nobody ever finds the bodies. evil grinne

We still have to keep an eye open in case one of the older students
remembers this trick & recommends it to one of the newbies. With time,
it will fade from the collective memory and then we just have to watch
out for somebody re-inventing it.

Every year the students come up with new ways to screw up. We keep
adding things to our list off do's & don't's, but its a challenge to
keep up with them.

Stupidity seems to mutate at a higher rate than smart cells.

This is at MIT. If you are interested in science & technology these
days, the path of least resistance is to play with computers. The
students have never taken hardware apart, and just have no mechanical
intuition at all. Most of them don't have any idea how to operate a
screwdriver properly. They either let things get loose & wonder why
they can't shoot well, or they overtighten them, either cross-threading
them, stripping the threads or breaking things.

Talk about a truly distressing trend in our "society"... Morons In
Technology? 'Tis a sad, sad era.

It wouldn't be quite so bad, except all of the target pistols are
European or Russian, and many are out of production. Getting parts for
the ones that are still being made is hard enough.

Yeah, it's hard enough getting American-made replacement parts now
that 90% of them are offshored.

The previous coach was difficult to get along with, and largely did
everything himself because nobody wanted to deal with him to help. He
was no gunsmith, and was disorganized. We inherited a lot of broken
guns with no idea what was wrong with them, and quite a few that weren't
labled as being broken. One student has been shooting a single shot .22
free pistol with no extractor. Nobody told him he wasn't supposed to
have to fish out every fired round by hand, so he never mentioned it to
anyone. I only found out it was missing by accident.

Hoboy...

At least now I know what I will be doing with my retirement...

You're a Value Added Alumnus, Doug. Bestest Kudos, sir.

--
Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles,
it takes away today's peace. --Lifehack