Posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Straightforward out-of-the-box solution for extending WiFi range

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 19:43:15 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 10:11:28 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Everyone seems to have different definitions of what constitutes
"carrier class" or "professional" wireless hardware. For me, it's
quite simple. Will it do SNMP and can it be monitored and managed
with 3rd party tools?

Interesting. I've got SNMP on all the Ubiquit radios, and,
I've never used it.

Well, it's time you tried it. Something like this, for your link to
your WISP, is what you should eventually get:
http://community.ubnt.com/t5/airMax-General-Discussion/Signal-Noise-history/td-p/48143

Basic Ubiquiti instructions:
http://wiki.ubnt.com/SNMP_and_MRTG_Monitoring
Do the first step to enable SNMP. Also, download ALL the MIB files
listed at the bottom of the page. You'll need them later.

SNMP "Community" is a lousy name for password. Depending on your
product, there are usually two community names. One for read-only
access. The other for write access. Use the read-only for now.

There's also PRTG if you want graphs:
http://www.ireasoning.com/mibbrowser.shtml
http://www.paessler.com/prtg/screenshots
http://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/quick_start_guide.htm
There are also Android and iPhone versions of the software.

There are others, but I think PRTG is the easiest MIB browser to get
started.

Although, that was precisely your point!

Yep. The limiting factor is that to do SNMP properly, one needs a
dedicated "management workstation" also known as a server or data
dumpster. SNMP can potentially generate plenty of data and traffic.
Most home users don't want to deal with a dedicated data collector,
even though it can be done on a Raspberry Pi, a media server, or some
NAS boxes.
http://www.supagusti.tk/computer/raspberrypi/160-installing-mrtg-on-your-pi
http://n00blab.com/cacti-pi/
However, such servers are mandatory for running a WISP.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D