Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_5_] Leon[_5_] is offline

Default O/T: Time Will Tell

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

I have a 1999 Toyota Tacoma P/U truck with 128,000 miles on it.

Today it started running "Rough" so stopped by my mechanic to
have it checked out.

Turns out that a spark plug wire had shorted out.

An after market set of four (4) wires were $48 while wires from
Toyota
were $83.

Looks like a straight forward decision, after market parts are the
way to go, but there is one more piece of information that is
needed
be known.

The original wires lasted 90,000 miles with no problems when they
were changed out with an after market set of wires which only
lasted
38,000 before failure.

Based on that information, the Toyota set of wires for $83 looks
like
the best deal, and they were installed.

Time will tell if I made the correct decision.

Lew

"Leon" wrote:

There is a reason that Toyota is one of the most reliable brand
vehicles on
the planet. Toyota does not use after market parts to manufacture
their
vehicles. I think you made the right decision Lew. Other brand
vehicles,
maybe not.

I'm coming to the conclusion that if you plan to keep the vehicle,
use genuine replacement parts.

OTOH, if you do not plan to keep the vehicle, use after market parts
and pass potential short wear life on to the next owner.

After all, it is the seller not the buyer who probably knows the true
value of an item.

Lew

IMHO still not worth the gamble not using genuine replacement parts. If
you buy after market you may or you may not be buying OEM. if you buy an
after market oil filter that does not measure up you could sustain
substantial engine damage should the filter fail, and this could happen
within a few hundred miles after installing. It would be a bitch to have
the engine fail before you got rid of a vehicle that you do not plan to
keep long.