Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Removing accumulated wax / polish

wrote:

I have learned a little from many different employees over the years
as well as from different finishing contractors. There used to be a
really vibrant community that was for experienced finishers only (you
had to be invited after "guest posting" on several subjects) that I
really liked. Sadly, due to the need for the advertising bucks, it
became more open, and the student graduates from Google University
started posting all the info they saw on other groups and forums as
their own personal, hands on experiences.

Thank you Robert! You have found the way to say what I have felt but never
seemed to find the way to say. And - it's not just about finishing - it's
about all things related to woodworking. People who become experts on
tablesaw safety because of things they've seen on YouTube, etc., with no
practical experience to validate those thoughts. People making assertive
claims based on the very same sort of "expertise", with equally little
experience and knowldege to support their assertions.

For some reason, folks don't see finishing as a craft like they do
wood working. I don't know why... the simple fact that so many run
like hell to get out of finishing a project should tell them that
there is more to it than meets the eye. On the other hand, it isn't
brain surgery by any means, and to me much too much is made out of
the finishing process. With so many great finishes being available
these days over the counter to anyone, with a moderate amount of
practice and determination anyone can turn out a good project.

Preach it brother! There seems to be a cult like facination with finsihing
things that are associated with some guy's name - when upon modest
examination, are little more than the contents of an over the counter
product. But - doing it "this way" must be better, because it is tied to a
famous woodworker's name. The funny part is when the over the counter
product is demeaned while the famous woodworker's "technique" is revered.
Both using essentially the same stuff.

I like to think I help those folks along when they get stuck on a
certain aspect or are losing their nerve. I get a real charge out of
reading that I helped someone get through a problem or fix a mistake
on their projects. It takes a fair amount of time to sit and peck
away good instructions but it is worth it to read that someone
hundreds of miles away was successful in some way due to my efforts.

And sir - you do an admirable job at that. Hats off to ya...

I have been in the trades for 40 years now. I realized after just a
few that you can't know everything. The more you learn about all
manner of woodworking, you realize there is more to know that anyone
can fathom. I enjoy sharing the parts I know with folks that
appreciate it.

And sir - you do an admirable job at that. Hats off to ya...

--

-Mike-