Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Removing accumulated wax / polish

On Monday, December 23, 2013 5:35:23 PM UTC-6, Doug wrote:
Robert,

My lucky day you were reading rec.woodworking! Is there another newsgroup where you more

frequently post? Your detailed guidance / instructions have been invaluable to me in

several instances and greatly appreciated.

*SNIP*

Thanks for that! I have spent years learning a lot of different aspects of the construction business, but was forced into finishing by unreliable painters and finishers. Then I found out I liked doing it!

I have learned a little from many different employees over the years as well as from different finishing contractors. There used to be a really vibrant community that was for experienced finishers only (you had to be invited after "guest posting" on several subjects) that I really liked. Sadly, due to the need for the advertising bucks, it became more open, and the student graduates from Google University started posting all the info they saw on other groups and forums as their own personal, hands on experiences.

To me, that was unacceptable. So many folks posted their Google found info as facts I quit posting. I wouldn't post any methodology about a process I had not experienced or a or info about a product I have not used. Many people read these groups and forums, but do not post to them so bad information goes just as far as the good stuff. As difficult as most folks find finishing, it is hard for me to see someone post away solid baloney as advice based on personal experience knowing that someone is getting ready to ruin or damage a wood project based on 4rd or 5th hand knowledge that was simply lifted somewhere else. I no longer post there.

The good forums and sites to me are long gone, and I come here occasionally to see what is going on.

For some reason, folks don't see finishing as a craft like they do wood working. I don't know why... the simple fact that so many run like hell to get out of finishing a project should tell them that there is more to it than meets the eye. On the other hand, it isn't brain surgery by any means, and to me much too much is made out of the finishing process. With so many great finishes being available these days over the counter to anyone, with a moderate amount of practice and determination anyone can turn out a good project.

I like to think I help those folks along when they get stuck on a certain aspect or are losing their nerve. I get a real charge out of reading that I helped someone get through a problem or fix a mistake on their projects. It takes a fair amount of time to sit and peck away good instructions but it is worth it to read that someone hundreds of miles away was successful in some way due to my efforts.

I have been in the trades for 40 years now. I realized after just a few that you can't know everything. The more you learn about all manner of woodworking, you realize there is more to know that anyone can fathom. I enjoy sharing the parts I know with folks that appreciate it.

Thanks again and best wishes to you and your family for a safe, healthy, and very Merry

Christmas!

And back at you, Doug. I will certainly be doing that this year!

Robert