Posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Danny D'Amico Danny D'Amico is offline

Default Straightforward out-of-the-box solution for extending WiFirange

On Sat, 21 Dec 2013 22:37:03 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

Do you use inSSIDer pro version or even free version? I think having
same SSID is not good. Won't it create confusion when connecting?

Hi Tony,

So far they haven't reported any problems.

The Unifi AP-LR was set up at a neighbor's home, so, I don't have
a scan for it (that scan above is from my home, because I was looking
for a distant WiFi channel 9 interference source that was showing up
in a spectrum analysis run from my rooftop radio):
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7310/1...e93b109b_o.jpg

What I like about the Ubiquiti equipment is sheer POWER! Those
access points are 6 Watts! Compare that to the puny 1/10th of a
Watt of your typical home broadband router.

And, these access points mount like a C02 detector, either on
the wall or on the ceiling, and, they don't need anything but
an Ethernet cable connected to them (as the power supply is
at the other end of the Ethernet cable).

So, for extending WiFi range at home, I am learning all I can about
these things, since they seem to be the right price and power and
they seem to kick consumer equipment's butt!

As for the Android tools to track WiFi access points and SSIDs,
I have InSSIDer freeware on my Android phone and on the laptop.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7364/1...a0cdf3b1_o.gif

On Android, I also use WiFi Analyzer, which, I like better than
InSSIDer. There's also "WiFi Signal Strength", which gives tabular
reports.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have the technical expertise to get
WiFi Stumbler (aks Kismet, I think) & pcap capture working to tell
me useful information yet inside those packets grabbed over the air,
so, that's my next WiFi project when I get around to it.