Posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Danny D'Amico[_2_] Danny D'Amico[_2_] is offline

Default Straightforward out-of-the-box solution for extending WiFirange

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 06:43:07 -0800, William Sommerwerck wrote:

You can also get greater range by (obviously!) putting the router
on the top of a bookshelf, or Velcroing it to a non-conductive door.

Hmmmm.... we're talking hundreds of feet greater range.

Just putting a router in a more advantageous spot within an office
isn't going to get you a few hundred feet greater range, in most cases.

It's not a bad idea, of course; but we're talking a goal of orders of
magnitude greater range here ...

I've never fully understood how a range extender can work properly. When
you're close to the computer, you'll be picking up a signal from both the
computer's radio and the extender.

If you're talking about the test I ran, which extended the range of
the laptop (as opposed to extending the range of the router), I had
turned off the laptop's internal radio with the hardware switch on
the side of the laptop.

So, in *my* tests, the only radio was the Nanobridge M2 feedhorn
which was tied to the laptop's Ethernet port.

So, from the laptop's perspective, there was no radio.
There was just a 'wired' ethernet connection.