Posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Danny D'Amico Danny D'Amico is offline

Default Straightforward out-of-the-box solution for extending WiFirange

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 06:25:36 -0800, Amanda Riphnykhazova wrote:

I have WiFI Analyser installed on my mobile phone but
didn't think there was any app short of about $5000 which
can tell you where to point the dish?

Ah. Alignment, while problematic with consumer equipment,
is absolutely beautiful with this professional equipment!

Let me count the ways ...

Notice I'm *not* using the dish that comes with the Nanobridge M2
radio. I'm just using this feedhorn and the POE power supply and
an Ethernet cord connected to the laptop, so, my antenna is 3dBi
(which isn't all that directional) as opposed to 18dBi with the
dish (which is still not all that directional):
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3667/1...aa12eba3_o.jpg

Even so, notice that the feedhorn has a set of LEDs (which the user
can configure) which tell you instantly what the signal strength
is at any one moment:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5527/1...e72406a8_o.jpg

Also bear in mind, that antenna installers are often in precarious
situations on top of poles and trees and the like, so, there is,
in addition, a visual signal strength meter, as shown he
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2826/1...09969676_o.png

And, notice the unchecked box in that last screenshot:
"Alignment Beep"
which beeps like Sputnik telling you the signal strength even if
you had your eyes closed.

Lastly, notice that the main page of the web interface to the
radio also shows you the signal strength and quality metrics:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7448/1...0ac269e1_o.png

Point is, when you're connecting to an access point that you can
barely see with $3,000 Steiner binoculars, alignment is everything.

So, rest assured, you'll *know* exactly where the access point is
in any situation that you're in. So, it won't be hard to point the
feedhorn at the AP, although it might require holding it there to
keep it pointed.

I would think, at a distance of, oh, say, 300 to 500 feet from
a typical Starbucks-style access point, that you would just need
to be pointed generally in the same direction; but I would need
to test this on the road (with an inverter in my car) to be sure.