Greg Millen

Default 8000 grit stone and Glazing, what to do

John,

you have reached the point where the stone and iron are 'sucking' together.
Personally, I wouldn't take it any further. The iron needs to be flat and
smooth at the back leading edge only - not the entire back - so you may wish
to concentrate on the first 1" or so only.

The 'glaze' you describe is a mixture of metal filings, water and stone
slurry, a natural result of the sharpening process.

If you are really keen to have the entire back at a mirror shine, try only
flattening 1/2 at a time. Another technique is to make a holder for the iron
to give yourself more to grip.

--
Greg

"Joe R." wrote in message
om...
I do my final plane iron sharpening on the 8000grit stone and when I
am lapping the back it gets really sticky and a black "glaze" appears.
I soaked the stone and spray a bit of water on it as I work. The
iron is really flat just like the stone and once the glazing starts it
is really tough to move the iron on the stone.

What am I doing wrong and how do I correct this?
Joe