-linux_lad

Default 8000 grit stone and Glazing, what to do

Joe R. wrote:
I do my final plane iron sharpening on the 8000grit stone and when I
am lapping the back it gets really sticky and a black "glaze" appears.
I soaked the stone and spray a bit of water on it as I work. The
iron is really flat just like the stone and once the glazing starts it
is really tough to move the iron on the stone.

What am I doing wrong and how do I correct this?
Joe

1) Keep the stone submerged in distilled water when not in use.

2) Dress the waterstone with a diamond hone before each use. This will
keep it nice and flat. You can also give it a good scrub with pumice and
a scouring pad.

3) During use, keep the stone wet. The black glaze you see is tiny metal
filings that bonded to the stone because it's not wet enough. Dressing
the stone will deglaze it.

--
-linux_lad
To verify that this post isn't forged, click he