Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.[_3_] Pete C.[_3_] is offline

Default KABOOB!! A Gas Explosion Close To Home

Doug Miller wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in news:52b206d5$0$47793$862e30e2
@ngroups.net:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

That doesn't explain why you said "That document doesn't say anything at
all about leaks." For both LP and nat gas it says the leading contributing
factor was leaks and breaks.

I didn't read it as carefully as I should have; I was mistaken about leaks.

But not about explosions vs. fires.

This is just a question...

When I light my stove, the gas comes from the burner head, a spark ignites
the flowing (and floating) gas, things go POOF! and the burner is lit.

Isn't that an explosion prior to the fire?

If there is a gas leak in my gas pipe and a sparks causes that gas to
ignite and my kitchen catches on fire, can we not equate the 3280 fires
with "explosions", or at least some of them? An explosion doesn't mean the
house has to be lifted off the foundation.

Seems to me that there are two ways to have fire with a gas leak as the
initial cause: a flame applied directly to the leak or a spark causing a
(minor) explosion POOF! and then a resulting fire. Seems like there would
be more POOFs before a fire caused by a gas leak than direct contact with a
flame.

The vast majority of those leaks are going to build a fair amount of
fuel/air mixture before they find an ignition source. The explosion may
range from just blowing out windows, to leveling the home and it's
neighbors, but you can quite reasonably surmise that most of the
incidents include some level of explosion. Fortunately in many of the
cases people recognized the leak and got out before the explosion and/or
fire. The count of course doesn't include the leaks that were contained
without ignition.

Surmise. assume, presume -- but you still don't have any actual evidence, do you?

You made it up, Pete.

Call NFPA and ask them if you don't think it's true.