Posted to alt.home.repair

Default KABOOB!! A Gas Explosion Close To Home

On 12/18/2013 1:55 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
In article , Pete C.
wrote:

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

In article , Pete C.
wrote:
Try a heat pump (air source or geothermal depending on your
region), solar, wood or oil for heat, none of which have any
propensity of leveling the neighborhood.

Bwah, hah, hah.

Michigan.

Not enough sun.

Not going to split wood or buy pellets.

Have a perfectly functioning gas furnace which I'm not going to
abandon for a much more expensive heat pump.

I'm not going to get rid of my gas stove, grill, or water
heater, either.

Cindy Hamilton --

Geothermal heat pumps work quite nicely in cold climates.

They cost too much. My husband can install a regular forced-air
furnace.

Even if I replaced my furnace with a heat pump, I'd still have the
stove and gas grill (and possibly the water heater).

Clearly, I don't believe that gas presents a statistically
significant danger. We've had this exact discussion before, and
neither of us was convinced of the other's position.

Cindy Hamilton

I'm cooking with gas and wouldn't want it any other way. We also have
gas heat and a gas water heater. There are several electric heaters
around for spot heating. The cost of electric resistance heat is very
expensive with gas heat being the least expensive. Many years ago we had
the things called "Total Electric Homes" that were touted as the future
of the modern living with electrical power being so cheap it wouldn't
even be metered. It was assumed back then that there would be nuclear
power plants everywhere. ^_^

TDD